Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dance: the 3 and the 4.

I have now taken 4 dance classes.

After taking Jackie's class for the first time, I felt decent about it. The monday after that thursday I had my first class with sue as an official estudiante de la dance studio of fresno. The class was not as bad as last time, though still hard. The main reason it was so hard the first time I took sue's class was A) we did alot of conditioning that day, B) it was intimidating being in a school with all new people who have all been taking class together forever and all the sudden I show up, especially since theyre all good C) I psyched myself out alot. This time it was still challenging, which was good, but not quite as horrible.

Instead of doing a bunch of conditioning we just did a stretch with a bit of conditioning, so good thing I always take 45 mins to stretch and warmup before I leave for dance, and then we started. We did across the floor and a combo. The combo was challenging, but some of it I at least had a handle on. Of course I wasn't pulling triples like some of the girls in the class cuz turns are one of my (many) weaknesses. But all of the out-of-this-world insanely good dancers weren't there, like Mr. Ohhotdamn wasn't there. I think that's because the first time I took it they had combined the 6:30 and 8:00 classes into one long class, and the 8:00 class has all the really good people in it. So now that I think about it... Mr. Ohhotdamn isn't gonna be in my class...

:(

Anyways, that's good I guess because I won't be so self concious about looking like a fool cuz him and his bad self won't be watching me while he's pulling out like 5,000 turns in a row...

Then I had another class with Jackie this thursday, and it went really well. Blah blah conditioning was hard and all but it was a bit more of a challenge than last week so that was really good, and I had a pretty good handle on the combo we did. It was an uber fun combo too. Because Jackie injects so much free movement inbetween technique it just makes it fun, and the movement she does has kind of an afro-modern feel, with a bit of a hip hop, jazzy twist every once in a while, which I really enjoy. I just like the free feeling she puts into alot of the stuff we do. We'll do like technique turns and jetes and randomly we'll just break down into some collapsed turn or just have to like ooze or something. It's so good. It started out with an attitude turn, except it wasn't a turn really because instead of turning you collapse out of it and do like the first half of an arm wave and push your leg and spin it off into a ramb de jambe that flows into a kind of extension that pulls you into a run/walk thing were you kind of wiggle a bit and your arm does a crooked prep into a double turn that kicks out around to the back and your body whiplashes and sinks and takes you down to a lunge and you go wooooop over and roll on the ground and stand up and then to a chaine into a jete (which was hard for me cuz i suck at turning jetes) and then you stop and hit a wall and kind of ooze and then you step and you do a double butt-to head turn and wooosh and your arms stay backwards aaand youre done. Soooo goood....

I'm way excited for that class just because I enjoy it so much and I really like Jackie and the stuff she does. And I feel confident about it because I'm def not the worst one and I got made an example of during the combo cuz I did well...

:)

For realz, its pretty bueno.

No comments: